What is good for business online? Credibility, and on the web you have little time to establish it.
Here are a few simple and effective tips for increasing your online credibility:
- Provide verification of the accuracy of information on your site. Providing third-party citations and links, such as references and links to the source material, builds website credibility. Even if your visitors don’t follow the links, their confidence in your content increases.
- Quickly establish that there is a real organization and human beings backing your site. Although it is often overlooked, you can easily establish credibility by showing a physical address on your site’s footer as well as posting photographs of real people or your office(s) on the “About page.” Listing your membership with local and national associations also helps establish website cred.
- Highlight the expertise in your organization by offering examples as well as testimonials.
- Do you have a testimonial on your home page with a link to more?
- Do you tell your visitors you are an expert or do you imply it through “recent” testimonials or published articles?
- Be sure to provide credentials as well as links to the applicable associations/organizations.
- Conversely, don’t link to websites that you have not checked recently – linking to a questionable site can harm your credibility by association and hurt your search ranking.
- Is it engaging?
- Are you offering to converse with the visitor?
- When designing your site, pay attention to consistent page layout, typography, use of color and images.
- Most importantly, does your website’s visual design match its intended purpose?